Re: Dutch vs. O.E. Bantams

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on January 30, 19104 at 22:02:13:

In Reply to: Dutch vs. O.E. Bantams posted by Melody on January 30, 19104 at 21:26:47:

Melody, If you are new to chickens, there can be a lot to see, that distinguishes one breed from another. Being new, if you looked at
a DELAWARE and an ORPINGTON and a WYANDOTTE, and did not see them side by side, you might think that there was not much difference. You need to know the names of the parts of the bird to see some of these differences. (Delaware and Orpington, single comb, Wyandotte, rose comb for just two differences that you might miss).

But there are significant differences, and the OEGB and the Dutch are two distinct breeds. If they look the same, one of them is either an "imposter" or not typical of the breed, or your eye is not tuned to the parts, as yet, feathers to combs to legs to tails to temperament!

Do you have any chance to attend a Poulty Show, where many breeds of chickens are shown? There are also a number of books that have breeds pictured, but not many that show Dutch Bantams, as they are newer in the U.S. than a number of books on bantams, but a VERY old breed in Holland. The main source to learn of differences in all types of bantams is the "Standard of Perfections" book by the American Bantam Association. Might find one at a Library, or they might be able to get one for you to borrow. Because they are both small breeds, a newcomer can be easily confused, I know. But there are truly quite a few differences that make each breed unique. Ask further, if you need more information.

CJR

: I am new to chickens but I bought what I was told were O.E. Bantams. Now that I am looking on internet I see the Dutch and they look a whole lot like what I have. Mine are only pets and will never be shown but I would like to know if they are the same and if not what differs as they look alike.
: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]