Re: pet rooster/ breeding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on January 11, 19104 at 19:46:43:

In Reply to: pet rooster/ breeding posted by Tyler Thompson on January 11, 19104 at 09:16:34:

:
Tyler, I hope someone near you will answer. Usually consider a pullet or hen to be a better pet than a cockerel or rooster, especially for youngsters. The Dutch Bantam males are, as a rule, quite docile. But if you have other roosters, especially OEGB, there is a natural rivalry that can lead to aggressive behavior and definetly not nice for children. On the other hand, if they are kept separately, a Dutch rooster can be a great pleasure and with several little hens, is a delightful breeding project. The Dutch Bantam has been very successful with Junior handlers at 4H and Junior Shows--both in breed competition and in Showmanship. Most are easily trained for show.

Write back, if someone in KY does not answer soon--sometimes it takes a while, as many do not check the site regularly. This weekend, a number of breeders are in Florida for the APA Annual Show. CJR

I live outside Louisville, KY. I have three girls ages 8,6,and 4. I am interested in purchasing a rooster as a pet for the girls and perhaps even some breeding stock for me to enjoy. Any advice on a recommended breed and where I might be able to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know anyone close to Louisville who breeds I might be able to talk to for advice. Thanks, Tyler Thompson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]