Always different LOL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by Deb on November 13, 19103 at 08:27:35:

In Reply to: Re: Congrats Neil good job! posted by Neil Moser on November 12, 19103 at 10:13:12:

Have you ever discussed the different techiniques or variations the different programs and judges use to judge showmanship Neil? quite interesting really. If you watn to toss some of it around, what I was thinking is it might help better prepare kids for the blessed event LOL
Neil did you know my Nat is judging showmanship out this way LOL now she is tuff. You best know your classes of ALL fowl if you are a senior. LOL

Deb

: Thanks!

: I would like to thank Jean, Ric, and LeJean for getting me started with breeding Dutch and also for their great, priceless, knowledge about the breed. They have taken a great deal of time answering all of my questions, explaining proper breeding, and showing me what a real Dutch should look like. It is the group of people that post on this site that are interested in giving the Juniors good quality birds to start out with, not selling as many birds as they can hatch out. That is what gets good reputations in the poultry business.

: The judge was a real nice guy, and asked us about our breed, weights, defects, DQs, etc. He also told us to evaluate the bird as if we were judging it. I used a Light Brown cock, he had a little white in the face, I made sure to point that out. The tail is a little gamey, short and the sickles could be wider and longer. He has great color, great body from the tail forward, and nice short legs. He also wanted me to describe the show prep, and how I go, or about to go about setting up breeding pens. I used Jeans method, but no food coloring, rather the plasic bandettes for chicks that are somewhat like camera film in material, so they will unroll as the bird grows. I think that was about it. I did showmaship last year at ON, but failed miserably. I also did it a few other times in between, but also havent done too well. Mainly my problem has been the easy stuff that I just forget, but once (this years Dutch Nationals) the judge spent MAYBE 10 minutes with about 8-10 of us, and he thought that he accuratly could place us within that time frame. Im not one to complain, but I thought that that time desreved a complaint. Many of my peers in that age group thought the exact same thing.

: Deb, I'll be looking forward to working with you, hopefully the 1,000 miles or so wont deter us.

: Neil Moser

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]