Double mating for improvement progress

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on October 16, 19103 at 12:47:33:

In Reply to: Re: My take on fluff posted by Ric on October 16, 19103 at 06:55:22:

Ric has brought up a subject that from earliest introduction of the Dutch in the U.S. was not thought to apply to Dutch Bantams. This is the selection of plumage shape and quality, which indicates that certain birds will produce best females, and other plumage type, will produce best males. OEGB and other breeds have long used the breeding practice. I recognize the differences in certain matings that I have selected, as significant in producing best exhibition birds of both sexes. But I do not keep nor raise enough birds to always use the practice.
Ric breeds enough Dutch, and keeps a large enough breeding flock to prove that this is not only possible, but is desireable, to create "lines" of breeding birds that may be expected to carry on their best exhibition (and other features) qualities to new breeders who obtain these birds. Their future success with breeding exhibition Dutch depends upon continuing with mating selections that are compatible.

It immediatley dilutes the ability of a great cock to pass along dominant traits, when bred to a pullet or hen, that is totally unrelated, even a very good bird, and will take a number of generations of selection, of just one or two of the best offspring, to eventually replicate what the original bird carries. For this reason, I recommend breeders to go back to the breeder of their original birds, when they want a wider selection of breeding birds, NOT to buy a BB to go with their unrelated birds. They will be disappointed.

If you CAN double mate your birds, you will have more predictable outcomes. Since many cannot do this, it is important to select related birds with the qualities you want to reproduce! CJR

: I have found over the years of breeding that I get less fluff from my female line of males than I do from males on the male lines.

: I have always bred to diminish the fluff and have been quite successful over the past two years. In some cases I have males with no fluff at all.

: I generally like to breed my females with smaller cushions to males with little to no fluff. I have found this to help in getting less "fluff" in my males.

: One strange thing though, I seem to have more fluff with the BLB's than any other variety, and with this said, I have absolutely no fluff in my CBLB males. Go figure. Keep the questions coming.

: : Jean, with respect to your comments regarding appropriate saddles, could you help me to better understand what you mean by "the saddle should be wide (as well as long)...." Do you mean "wide" across the back from side to side? And, "long" being the length of the saddle feathers themselves or "long" being the length of back that the saddle feathers cover? And I'm not clear about the white fluff being covered up by the hackle feathers. Help!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]