Re: Fluff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on October 10, 19103 at 14:42:39:

In Reply to: Fluff posted by Rog on October 09, 19103 at 23:41:54:

Remember, that the Dutch Bantam Light Brown Standard is the same as the Light Brown Leghorn. Different bird!! Different history and heritage. I have only recently taken a good look at the LB Leghorns at shows. Do not recall seeing the white fluff?? It wasn't what I was looking for. . .(it was the female LB.)

The BBRed of the OEGB is not the same. Do you see it there? Maybe by crossing to OEGG BBRed one might reduce the white fluff on the Dutch. But what a can of worms that has been!!!! I must recall that the Dark LB birds that I had in the early days, from a cock that was a LB DutchxSpangled OEGB (my original birds in 1986), those birds had none, or almost no white fluff. That Mh gene was almost impossible to eliminate, after I learned about it. Had to eliminate all birds that carried it--ALL of them. It is not a Dutch variety.

It is my understanding, that in Dutch Bantams, the white fluff COMES WITH the Patrijs variety, it is a given. Patrijs winners with high scores have it. It may not be as desired as a smooth color transition from hackle/saddle to tail, but is accepted. Will recheck the Standard in Holland--but later.

Here, in the Light Brown, as in Leghorn, Standard, it is listed as a defect, and is written as: "excessive white fluff at base of the tail". Others have asked, "what is excessive?" At least it is recognized as a normal part of the Light Brown variety and pattern. I believe it is linked to LB, AS IN Dutch Bantams, other varieties do not have it to any degree, some varieties never have it!

BLB have little or none, as a rule (certain lines) and perhaps by selective breeding LBxBLB (Great Birds), one can lessen the white fluff on LBs?? I have been working on BLB tails and cushion this year, and never have focused on fluff--as not important. Last of the hatches are nearly mailed out for others to work with, will repeat some next year. Am having some successes with the BLB tails. hackle and saddle. They come that way at shows in HOlland!

This is just one opinion. Others? CJR

: Ok the white feathers that are just in front of the tail feathers. Not good with one US standard or am I wrong? From all the pics I have seen the good tailed Cock birds had a lot of it. I have noticed that the more my young cockerels had the better there tails were. And have never had any pullets with much at all.But the pullets that had the big bunched up sickle feathers have wound up with the best tails. Does this have anything to do with the tail thing? Just curious. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]