Agree Agree Agree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by Deb on October 08, 19103 at 12:54:02:

In Reply to: the breeding of BLB males posted by CJR on October 07, 19103 at 22:38:32:

We could talk this all day Jean. You put sub-standard together thats what you get. I just think that BLB lines have not been worked on enough, have not had enough correct attention in all aspects of breeding, and is one of the most misunderstood colors in the Dutch. Very unique.

Deb

: It seems to me, that the weak tails we have seen for years on the BLB males, has been due to the lack of birds with great tails on our LBs. Can't get it without a parent who has it. And the female has her contribution. Short, narrow, pointy tails on females cannot make great tails on offspring, male or female. Females need a heavy cushion, riding up the back, almost to the tip of the tail, wide tail feathers with good length, whether the female is BLB or Splash. This may be where the extra wonderful lesser sickles get support--not just from the male alone. LeJean has a number of GREAT Splash males, sons, grandsons, of the first Schuurman Splash birds that came in 1992. He has produced a line of Splash females with deep orange-salmon breast that are beautiful! I did some inbreeding with those first birds, and I gave Roy and Dusty the first LBs that appeared, as well as some Splash, which were the largest number of offspring, of course. I have pictures Roy sent that were as nice as any of the later imports. Here is where the problem begins. Crossing with older lines did not produce better Dutch, but some squirrely tails and wretched combs, long legs--and word that came back to me, was that those Schuurman imports were awful birds. This is where selection of your breeding birds is vital. Outcrossing to another line is rarely successful. A great cock bred to another line most often produces NOTHING~ For more great exhibition and breeding birds, line breeding will usually be more successful and give the progress and improvement we all hope for in our Dutch. Inbreeding is not to be avoided, if the features are there that need to be made dominant.

: So--my response is, that for great BLBs, one must use very good compatible birds of either LB or Splash. Knowing the background of the birds is imperative. That means keeping records. This will be in the next Poultry Press article, along with other bits and pieces. CJR

:
: : Deb,
: : One of the most interesting things I am seeing in the breeding of BLB's is the lack of the blue stripe in the hackle. I admit I have some BLB pullets that have very dark striping, if it is blue at all. Not at all the same color as the body. What I have finally seen ( in some recent acquisitions) is the correct color in the feathering of the female BLB's. Maybe someone could shed some light on why the males in BLB don't seem to have the tails of the LB's even when you have the right gene combinations. Does it have something to do with the blue gene as in the Blue variety of Dutch? Sure would like to hear pthers comments.

: : Ken Crooked Oak Bantams

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]