My Opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by Deb on October 06, 19103 at 21:43:15:

In Reply to: Re: a good mating posted by CJR on October 06, 19103 at 13:18:31:

In using the splash there has been a wee bit red pigment and not the subltle brown in the breedings if a spalsh is used. Anyone else have a comment on that? Just my simple observation mind you.

Deb

: Deb, Am very sorry for the tragedy in your life! Takes time to heal. Sometimes the Bantams help us do this.

: Will see if Loren can repost the BLB article. But it is for the beginner, and you mentioned that you understood that the best way to breed BLB, is BLBxLB. Well, it is the surest way, as few people keep GOOD Splash birds with known ancestry. Note again, to breed exhibition birds of any variety, first you need to know the birds and their background, next you must choose the individuals for the features you want(best hope) to be dominant in their offspring.

: Using BLBxLB is usually better for most small breeding operations because you may expect to get 50/50 of each variety. With another breeding pen of LBs, you will have pairs for sale or future selection for yourself. Using SPxLB, you will hatch ALL BLBs. (almost always) This is fine, if you have enough LBs from compatible lines to get the sexes needed for pairs or trios. For beginners or very small numbers of birds, this is not practical. You will have BLBs that you cannot use or sell in compatible pairs. All of the articles written so far, were for relative beginners, and an introduction to just understand the varieties and the first experiences in breeding them.

: This is enough for now--questions are best when following a short presentation. And please remember, there are other options and all are welcome to be presented and discussed. I do not have all the answers--but can usually find them from you and from others. CJR

:
:
: : Sorry Jean to get back so late we had a tragic death and funeral here.

: : One of the reasons I aksed on this matter is the url on the article you wrote is not working I get a 404 message.

: : I have splash in my line, but I always thought the best BLB's came from a LB and BLB breeding is that true?

: : and how would you describe the color pattern found on a BLB hens back?

: : And my observation and opinion is that there has been some inconsistancy in that pattern presented.

: : Deb

:
: :
: :
: : : Great to get a single subject to spend some time on! Don't let this be the last response on the subject!

: : : All of my BLB's color has come from the Splash birds from Schuurman (in 1992) and LB birds from that line, as well as all later LBs. I really only raised a few for those who wanted the variety with BLUE color,not as a breeding project for myself. And have kept just one or two BLB hens over the years--NO males. I never felt they ones I hatched, were great birds, but never saw a really good BLB at any of the Shows I attended from GA to AZ, OH to OR. Good? What I mean is comparable to the
: : : best LBs in type or feather quality. For me, I believe it was because I just never focused on them. When the CLB fiasco began, I had time to work with another variety. And this year, my goal was to raise some BLBs as great as the exhibition BLBs in Holland and England, and as close to my best LBs as I could.

: : : This year, I have produced some that are truly a step foreward. Using my best LB male with my old Schuurman BLB female (then 9 years old, and the best colored BLB female one could breed), I hatched a very lovely female BLB just one offspring. Ric has her--one of the survivors--and I kept her daughter, a BLB by another great LB cock that Mark Weber now has. There was also a LB female, which I have kept, and also two males, a LB and a BLB. These two males are head of the BLB breeding project that has produced some BLBs this season, both sexes, that are too young to show, but are the most promising young BLBs I have ever hatched! The females have produced several very young chicks. But the best of this seasons BLB cockerels were by the new LB cockerel and out of 2 Splash hens that are 75%+ Schuurman breeding, from 1992.

: : : I feel it was simply careful selection of the sire and dam. They come from lines that would be expected to produce great Dutch, and the BLB cockerels are promising to have tails close to or equal to, the best of the LBs. Well, I don't know yet, as they are still not mature, but the promise is there. And do not forget that the female chosen must also be from a great line of "tails" and have a good back and tail, herself.

: : : The best BLB males will have similar shade of blue, both breast and tail. We more often see a much darker tail, sometimes almost black. Better to breed for a matched blue, and the lighter the blue the better. Sent off two with color nearing this criteria, still work to do. The Splash hens were sired by a BLB cock that has light blue body and very light blue tail. His full brother's picture is on my website, in the COOP section, went to MD and a backyard coop. That light BLB sire of the Splash birds is in MI. These Splash hens have striking dark orange breast, not the usual pale color, are small, typy and lovely temperament. Let one go to CA, and have kept the other hen--AND have 4 of their daughters, Splash, of course, by the promising new BLB cock and looking very promising themselves.
: : : The BLB females? This is another response, and won't try to do it tonight. A show weekend is pretty exhausting--and I didn't even have any birds exhibited! CJR

:
: : : : Have some BLB here that are just developing most slendidly. but I was looking around and noticed we need some updated breeding information. Have you ever noticed it is the one color that is so hard to give a proper description on?

: : : : Deb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]