Re: describe Dutch chicks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on May 20, 19103 at 01:36:33:

In Reply to: Re: describe Dutch chicks? posted by MKHN on May 19, 19103 at 23:32:47:

MKHN, my Dutch have flown to the top of the barn roof and high into trees when really frightened by stray dogs! Actually, they have almost no chance to do so, as all pens do have either netting or solid roofs. If you can attach the netting without grounding the wire, you should be fine, but 4feet is not very high, if you must go into the pen. I like 6 to 8 feet fencing, as I place day roosts in the pens and they do like to get off the ground to rest and preen. And I can work in the pens without stooping. I mow the grass in the pens every week, water it if it starts to turn brown--and never have too many birds in each pen, so it is never all scratched into dust and /or mud, short green grass keeps them clean and I do not put them out if it is wet--that means after the dew is off in the mornings, or not at all, if it is raining (or snow). That does not allow the turf to be torn to dirt--and there is no dirt on the feet to get any eggs dirty. Have to work it out for your own situation.

The babies go through some ugly chickling stages when feathers are half in and heads are still downy! Then they become so beautiful! You will enjoy them. CJR

: Thank you for your prompt reply! After four happy weeks with our 14 chicks, we have decided that the dutch are our favorites! One of our other favorites is a very zany/kooky black aracauna, about the same size as the dutch chicks. The ones that like to be held the most are the full-size silver spangle hamburghs; we've decided that they are great with people but not so nice to the smaller chicks. (They trample over everyone else on a regular basis!)
: The dutch are loving trying out their wings. I have ordered some electroplastic fencing (4 feet high) and have since read that the dutch will fly higher than that. Does anyone know if I can place aviary neeting over the top of the electroplastic fencing?
: This is a wonderful site/resource---thank you!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dutch Bantam Discussion Board ]