At Gildehaus:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ American Dutch Bantam Society Discussion Board ]

Posted by CJR on December 08, 19101 at 23:19:41:

In Reply to: Re: Your trip. posted by Wayne Gritter on December 08, 19101 at 17:28:12:

:Forgot to mention, visited with Helmut Guder, who has written on this Board, but had not told us that HE IS A JUDGE, and he judged the largest class, the Goldhalsig --and I think did a very good job! CJR

: : Roger, Home again after a fantastic adventure! Actually 505 Dutch Bantams! Birds were beautifully fitted and displayed. The All breed Club that sponsored the Show is 100 years old,(1998), their own very nice club house and exhibition hall attached. Holds about 6-700 birds, so the individual breed clubs schedule shows with just several breeds at a time, as many are large entries of just one breed. Since they do not judge as we do, but each bird receives a score, then the best of the highest scoring birds compete for Best of Variety and Reserve of Variety. There were no really top scoring birds (rarely are), so there is always room for improvement! As usual, the Goldhalsig (Light Brown) had the largest entry and the Silberhalsig (Silver) next, with large entry of Crele, Black, Self Blue, Red Shouldered White. Smaller entries of Cream Light Brown, Blue Light Brown, Blue Silver, White, Salmon, Wheaten, Yellow Columbian, Quail, Silver Quail, Blue, Cuckoo. For exhibition only, not competition, were trios of MilleFleur, Citroen. Quite a few exhibitors from Holland, and most of those birds scored very well. There were 8 judges (11 had been planned, several could not make it). Took lots of pictures (no videos this time) and time will tell whether we have something to show you- others will be sharing. But the unexpected--was that apparently there has never been a visitor from the US before and was treated like Royalty, as well as our friends from England, Wales and Norway!--the Governor of the state came in the morning. The opening talks included the Mayor of Gildehaus, and the club officials. The club prepared wonderful food for lunch and dinner--loud German music, in all a festive time! Spend so much time going over individual birds that I really did not see the rare breeds that were also shown--German regional breeds that have no English equivilant of their names--except the Antwerpen Belgians, a nice entry of lovely birds in all varieties. Weather was continuously dark and rainy--people were sunshine! Interpreters were worked so kindly, mostly our friends in Holland, but missed lots of questions I would have liked answers, and can read little of the nice books we were presented-will work on that here at home. A long ways to travel for a weekend of Dutch Bantams, but if you could think about saving for a trip to Holland in 2003 for the Europoean Poultry, Rabbit and Pigeons Show at Zuidlaren in Holland (November)--I am--it is worth every bit of effort, time. If only we could bring birds home!!!! While I will not be a "tour leader", I will help anyone make plans to visit a Dutch Bantam Show in England or Holland. Sorry that Jerrod could not go this trip--would have loved every minute! There are a number of young people who raise and exhibit Dutch Bantams in Holland, Germany and England. And do not want to forget Norway, where there are few Dutch Bantam breeders, but very good birds will be found there and at their shows! The Stromberg Poultry Tour of (perhaps) 2003, may begin in Norway, and will see if they can reach some of the Dutch Bantam breeders to see their birds! It is an amazing world wide attachment--these Dutch Bantams! CJR

: : : Hi Jean. We are all waiting. As soon as you get home am looking forward to the results of the German show. So get them up. Ho Ho. We just miss you Lady. Rog

: Jean, I enjoyed your account of your trip. I'd love to go in 2003. I'm sure my wife Joan would enjoy the trip too. Keep us informed. Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ American Dutch Bantam Society Discussion Board ]